Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Early Marbled White

For an hour's meandering amble around Lancing Ring on a bright blustery day I think I did well to see Marbled White, Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown and Red Admiral butterflies mostly in the sheltered places away from the force 4-5 breeze.
My star find for the day was a single stem of Grass Vetchling, (Lathyrus nissolia, I have only seen this elusive plant once before on the Meadow, the plant is not nationally rare but it is on Lancing Ring.



My Marbled White is early, previous sightings have been in early July


It's nice to see the Greater Knapweed showing again, this one is a bit early


There was a lot of birdsong on the way and one distinctive call led me to see a red chested Linnet perched on top of a Hawthorn clump.

No comments: